We need people – people like those in TB Alert, who are focused and ambitious and care for people at grass roots in the UK, India and Africa. Dr Lucica Ditiu, Executive Secretary of the Stop TB Partnership
This has led to a massive rise in the number of TB cases over the past 20 years, with TB now one of the leading causes of death among people living with HIV and AIDS, accounting for 40 percent of AIDS deaths. So it was crucial for TB Alert that any projects we established in the country tackled both these conditions together, in order to be successful.
Stats and facts: TB in Malawi
In 2011, there were five avoidable deaths a day from TB in Malawi.
- Deaths from TB: 1,900 (excluding HIV-positive TB)
- Number of new TB cases: 18,700
- Number of HIV-positive TB cases: 10,300
- Number of people living with HIV (adults and children): 910,000
- Estimated new TB cases with multi-drug resistance: 0.42%
- Retreatment TB cases with multi-drug resistance: 1.2%
Find out about our work in Malawi: